A Blade of Grass is the first nonprofit solely dedicated to nurturing socially engaged art. Since 2011, They have quickly established a strong reputation as thought leaders in a rapidly growing field.
The primary mission of A Blade of Grass is to support and present media and content about socially engaged art, while actively developing and seeking funding through grants and donations.
This redesign effort is the first comprehensive look at design and branding since ABOG’s inception as a private foundation in 2011. Its primary objectives were:
- Grow out of a childlike, confusing visual identity
- Retire the existing rabbit logo and 500+ color palette while maintaining the sense of mercurial lightness that motivated these choices
- Communicate to a variety of audiences, including artists and arts practitioners; financial supporters inside and outside the art world; project participants; and general audiences
- Communicate ABOG’s commitment to social justice, and the notion that artists have a specific role to play as agents of change
- Communicate the serious scholarship that our programs are grounded in while maintaining a sense of accessibility to a general audience
- Ensure that ABOG’s website effectively acts as our “museum,” or our primary site for presenting media and content about socially engaged art projects
- Clearly communicate that ABOG is a public charity that actively solicits support, rather than a private foundation
- Clarify the sub-branding of various activities and initiatives such as Fellowships, Discussion Forums, and Fieldworks films.